Thursday, May 20, 2010

Am I a Post Egypt "Israelite"?

In the past few days I have been reading through the book of Exodus on my way chronologically through the Bible. Just about every chapter I there is at least one instance where God specifically told them what to do or just delivered them from some impossible situation and just days or even moments later they are right back to sinning major sins. Ok, So I know that God does not grade sins BIG or Little. So what I mean is OBVIOUS [like elephant in room] sins. I am sitting there reading and thinking to my self you dummy's, you were thirsty. So God gave you water. Can't you trust Him for quail and manna the next day? Or that fact that God brings them from Egypt, loaded with gifts, splits the Red Sea in half, gives you water from a rock, sends quail and manna in response to your grumbling, and has an amazing lightning and fire(works) show on Sinai and you go make your {OWN} God? Come on... The lightning and thunder has not quit yet and you already forget the events of the past month and Moses who is in that lightning and thunder TALKING to the God who made you? All this prompted me to think about my life and heart. Am I like the Egyptians? Does He open His storehouses from Heaven upon me and then what do I do the next day? Am I back to a lukewarm life? A life filled with short comings and sin?

This also brought to mind another thought. Last year I was introduced to a new song by a friend who is really like a brother. Anyway, we shall protect the guilty and not mention any names. :-)
Hey there Delilah, this is your ex-boyfriend Sampson,
And I know you thought that lifting weights, made me so buff and handsome,
You were wrong, it's 'cuz I let my hair grow long, it makes me strong,
Hey there Delilah, you came in while I was sleeping,
And I didn't feel you cutting and I didn't hear you creeping
out the door, You left my hair piled on the floor, while I just snored

Chorus:
Oh, it's what you did to me, Oh, while I was asleep,
Oh, I'm a Nazarene, Oh, but you shaved me clean,
Delilah you're so mean

Killed a lion, big and mean, and slaughtered many Philistines,
All with a donkey's jaw bone, that's no lie,
But now I'm chained up to a wall, and I can't cry no tears at all,
Because the came and gouged out both my eyes...
Why'd you grab those clippin' shears, and shave my head like Britney Spears,
'Cuz now I'm standing hear in total shame, Delilah, you're to blame

Hey there Delilah, why did you have to deceive me?
It's so hard for me to think, not long ago I wanted you to be my bride,
But you took too much off the sides,
hey there Delilah when you die,
Just tell the devil, I said "hi",
He'll know why

Chorus 2:
Oh, it's what you did to me, Oh, Now I'm up the creek,
Oh, now I feel so weak, Oh, I look like a freak,
Delilah, you're such a geek...
While the song is funny and we might laugh and enjoy it. It hit me as a ton of bricks, a wake up call. It was not like Delilah just came in and boom loped off Sampson's hair. It took MANY repeated times of pleading and seducing him. Our sinful downfall and destruction does not happen all at once. The people of Israel did not just suddenly become wishy washy in their faith in God. It was a slow graduated process that weakened them. It took time for Delilah to win Sampson's heart. Little by little I have allowed small things into my life to weaken me. To draw my heart and relationship with God apart. Because of that I do not have the strength or wisdom to recognize the "little" sin's in my life that are reducing my effectiveness for HIM. What are you going to do about it?
“You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet. ~Matthew 5:13

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! You have been doing some powerful thinking. Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate your honesty.
This is what the Lord has been showing me and really nailed me down yesterday. I always couldn't believe the Israelites, I get SO frustrated with them. And then the Lord says, look here in your life and here and here. What are you looking down on them for? How can you think that about them when you are doing it yourself?